Thursday, February 8, 2007

A sister's love


I was thinking about sisterly love and I thought I would share with you guys this old picture of my sister and I. I'm not sure how old we are in that pic but I would guess I'm about 2 yrs old and Chris is about 5 yrs old. The reason I was thinking about sisterly love is that I witnessed an act by Celeste which, in my mind, erases any doubts that she loves her little sister. Let me tell you about it. Celeste detests loud sounds. For example, she hates the vacuum cleaner - always has since she was baby. Well, the other day, I was in Émilie's room, with the girls. We have an air mattress as a spare bed in there. It needed a bit of refilling. In the past, when I've done that with Lili (I'm trying out new nicknames for Ém) around, she has not been fond of that sound, she gets that adorable quivering bottom lip. Being the masochist that I am, I asked Cel if we should make Lili cry (the lip is sooo cute) and turned on the pump - it's about as loud as a hair dryer. Of course, Cel put her hands over her own ears because she hates loud sounds but then she saw her little sis about to cry. She looked at me, then looked at her sis and slowly, almost painfully, took her hands off her own ears and put them over her sister's. She closed her eyes tightly to try to block out the sound. It was such a selfless act that I almost felt guilty for purposefully trying to make them both cry. Sisters are great, aren't they?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are toooo funny Syl!!
I love the story!!

Andrea